Calgary Basement Suites - Calgary Homes for Sale with Suites

To develop a Calgary basement suite, a building permit is required and the neighbourhood must be approved by the city

Basement Suites Close
Page Summary

Calgary Basement Suites & Secondary Suites

In Calgary, basement suites are not permitted in single detached dwellings where the zoning is R-1 or in semi-detached dwellings where the zoning is R-2. There is also concern that they do not meet the safety requirements of the Alberta Building Code:

1. separate furnaces for each dwelling unit;

2. one hour fi re separation walls between the two units; and

3. basement windows large enough to make basement suites habitable living spaces

When discussing plans to develop your Calgary basement, you might find it useful to know that a building permit is required to develop a basement for the personal use of the occupant (i.e. family room, bathroom, etc.). 

To have a Calgary legal basement suite, you will need an approved Calgary Development Permit and a Building permit when creating an additional dwelling unit (i.e. basement suite).  To apply for a basement suite development permit, the property must already be zoned for the intended purpose and the lot must meet minimum size requirements. Contact the City of Calgary Planning Services Support Centre at 403-268-5311 for more information.

Calgary Real Estate Basement Suite


Important Updated from Feb 2011.- A Secondary Suite is a category of land use intended to allow for modest intensification of single detached, low density residential areas without significantly altering neighborhood character. Its principal purpose is to provide for the development of one additional dwelling unit on a parcel that would typically accommodate only one single detached dwelling. It differs from duplex, apartment and other multi-residential forms of housing in that the unit must be secondary or accessory to the principal dwelling, typically through restrictions on size, and must be provided within or as part of a traditional single detached housing built form. 

Calgary Secondary Suites (updated Feb 2011)

Electrical and plumbing

When thinking about installing electrical wiring and/or plumbing in a new basement development, you will need a seperate Electrical Permit and a seperate Plumbing Permit, in addition to a Building Permit; your licensed electrical and/or plumbing contractor is responsible for obtaining these permits.

You may also opt for a Homeowner's Electrical Permit and/or a Homeowner's Plumbing Permit if you wish to do the work yourself. In order to qualify for these permits;

  • the home must be a single family dwelling;
  • you must be the owner and occupant of the home; and
  • you must be performing the installations yourself.

Gas and heating

A qualified licensed contracted must carry out all gas and heating installations (including piping). 

 Find the requirements to build a basement suite in Calgary



Gagan Bilga 


Disclaimer: Information herein deemed reliable but not guaranteed by CREB®.

Listing information last updated on March 30th, 2017 at 12:30pm MDT.